Whenever we cover Rocket League on Traxion, it’s always the struggle of whether it fits in with our other content or not. It’s not a racing game, per se, but it does have fast cars. The cars are trying to score a giant ball in a goal, though, so it’s like a crossover episode with race cars and soccer… sorry, I mean football.
After an update on 18th August, it’s one of the more fancy car games that’s on the market now for PlayStation 5 users specifically. Rocket League now plays at 120 frames per second on Sony’s Next Gen console. There are a few caveats to this announcement that are listed below, but for the most part, the capability now exists. It is important to note that this was already at this level on the Next Gen Xbox.
Of course, you’ll need to own a monitor with a refresh rate capable of displaying 120 FPS. On top of that, the game won’t be at full 4K resolution when running 120 FPS either, but rather 70% of it at 2688×1512 resolution. There’s always a cost, so if a higher resolution means more than a smoother frame rate, at least you’ll be able to choose between one or the other. Plus, 60 FPS really is more than enough in all honesty.
It is important to note that Rocket League is a native PlayStation 4 game. The new update makes it work at this enhanced level on a PS5 despite it not being a native PS5 game, but this update is not for the PS4. At least PS4 gamers can still get the free Ratchet and Clank bundle that also released alongside.
THERE ARE TWO SETTINGS TO CHOOSE FROM:
- 4K checkerboard resolution at 60 FPS with HDR
- HDR requires HDR10 compatible display and HDMI 2.0 cable or better
- 4K capable display required to experience 4K. If a 1080p display is used, the game will render at 1080p supersampled from 4K
- Game runs at 2688×1512 resolution (70% of full 4K) at 120 FPS with HDR
- Game UI runs in 4K checkerboard
- 4K capable display required to experience 4K UHD. If a 1080p display is used, the game will render at 1080p super sampled from 2688×1512
- HDR and 120 FPS require a compatible display, as well as Ultra High Speed HDMI 2.1 cable