As ever, update 1.36 for Gran Turismo 7 includes more than just the headline-grabbing new vehicles. So, here are the most important details for the update live today, 7th August 2023, for both PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5.
It weighs in at 1.27 GB on PS5.
Four new cars – two now, two later
Due to the upcoming World Series Showdown esports event in Amsterdam and the Toyota GAZOO Racing GT Cup, the two new Toyotas aren’t available immediately.
Today, right now, the following two cars are part of the roster:
- Chevrolet Corvette (C1) ’58 – 430.34 PP – 126,000 CR – Legend Cars
- Maserati MC20 ’20 – 620.95 PP – 300,000 CR – Brand Central
The Chevrolet represents the genesis of the Corvette sportscars, which means all generations of the American stalwart are now represented in Gran Turismo 7 apart from the C5.
Meanwhile, the MC20 is the latest bleeding-edge Italian supercar – except, it eschews the current trend for hybridisation. Just a turbo V6, aggressive gearbox and rear-wheel driver. This is the pin-up for Maserati, heralding a new era. The shade-shifting Giallo Genio colour is part of the available options.
The Corvette is available from Legendary Cars, while the MC20 is in Brand Central.
As for the Toyotas…
- Toyota GR Corolla MORIZO Edition ’22
- Toyota Ambulance Himedic ’21
You can drive the GR Corolla now by visiting the Sport Mode, then the Toyota GAZOO Racing GT Cup and then the practice Time Trial for the upcoming esports race, held on 27th August. But, you cannot buy it from Brand Central, yet.
Enter that online race, or if you’ve entered any of the previous GT Cup events this season, and the Morizo Edition will be gifted to you as a prize on 28th August. Failing that, it will be within Brand Central at the end of September.
The Ambulance, on the other hand, will be gifted as a prize on 14th or 21st August, provided you watch the upcoming Showdown events within the game. Simply tap the icon over this upcoming weekend at the top right of the world map, watch the YouTube stream and await the prize. Failing that, it will be in Brand Central to buy later this month.
Yes, it has a working siren.
Gran Turismo Movie livery
With the film of the game of the GT Academy competition starting to release on the 9th August outside of the USA, and the 25th in the USA, there’s a paint scheme within Gran Turismo 7 that matches that of the picture.
Again, this is a free prize and comes with a bonus Nissan GT-R GT3. Simply tap the Gran Turismo Movie icon at the top of the World Map, watch the film’s trailer and claim the new look.
Gran Turismo Movie Online Lap Time Challenge
Also celebrating the launch of the film – which charts the true story of GT Academy winner Jann Mardenborough – is this limited-time time trial.
Within Sport Mode, like all Lap Time Challenges, if you set a lap time within certain average thresholds, there are big rewards.
Using the Nissan GT-R GT3 with the movie’s celebratory livery, set a time around the Red Bull Ring – which is featured within the picture – and up to two million credits could be yours. It’s open between today, 7th August 2023 and 06:59 UTC 28th September.
In terms of single-player content, Extra Café Menu Books are purely about collecting cars. These are race missions or events, but you do need the case to buy the motors to unlock the prizes, so there’s an element of driving involved.
Three more have been added today (7th August), here’s what’s up for grabs:
Extra Menu No. 26, Collection: Maserati
Collector Level 40 and above.
- Maserati MC20 ’20 – Brand Central
- Maserati Merak SS ’80 – Legend Cars
- Maserati A6GCS/53 Spyder ’54 – Legend Cars
Prize: Six-star Roulette Ticket
Collector Level 44 and above.
- Aston Martin Valkyrie ’21 – Brand Central
- Aston Martin DB11 ‘16 – Brand Central
- Aston Martin DB5 ’64 – Legend Cars
Prize: Six-star Roulette Ticket (Engine)
Collector Level 27 and above.
Prize: Four-star Roulette Ticket
2 million credit prediction game
With the aforementioned Gran Turismo World Series Showdown event happening over the coming days, the prediction game returns within Gran Turismo 7.
Click on one of the World Map banners at the top of the screen before 11th August and guess who you think will win the Nations Cup and Manufacturers Cup events. If you predict correctly, you will win 1 million credits per competition.
Prizes will be distributed on 14th August.
Four new single-player World Circuits races
The slow increase of single-player content continues, with an additional four events with the following conditions:
Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta – American Sunday Cup 600 – Three laps, United States road car, no PP limit – Maximum reward 40,000 credits
Dragon Trail – Hyper Car Parade – Six laps, road car, no PP limited – Maximum reward 95,000 credits
Red Bull Ring – Hyper Car Parade – Six laps, road car, no PP limited – Maximum reward 90,000 credits
High Speed Ring – World Touring Car 800 – 20 laps, 800 PP or less, Racing tyres, 6x fuel usage, 4x tyre wear – Maximum reward 160,000 credits
Five new engine swaps
Now that swapping motors is available within GT Auto for credits, monthly additions to the possible swaps seem to be rolling in.
This time, five American-muscle examples are available.
- Chevrolet Camaro Z28 ’69 – (LT4-Camaro engine, 139,750 credits)
- Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 (C4) ’89 – (LT5-Corvette-C7, 167,000 credits)
- Ford Mustang Boss 429 ’69 – (Voodoo-5.2L-GT350R, 137,500 credits)
- Ford Shelby GT350R ’16 – (Windsor-315-Maverick, 250,000 credits)
- Shelby G.T. 350 ’65 – (Voodoo-5.2L-GT350R, 137,500 credits)
This is pretty neat. Supposedly using player’s wishlist data – developer Polyphony Digital has the ability to see how many cars are purchased. for example – a ‘Special Picks’ section has been added to both the Used Cars and Legend Cars pavilions.
This is key because the available line-up rotates, and in the past vehicles such as the Suzuki V6 Escudo Pikes Peak Special and Ford Roadster have only appeared fleetingly.
For example, at the time of writing, the Special Pick in Legend Cars is the Aston Martin DB5, which is required to complete the Aston Martin Extra Café Menu Book, added through this update.
Fire station scapes
A staple of a new Gran Turismo 7 update is new locations to take pictures of your cars. If a driveable ambulance isn’t enough, fire emergency services are also represented in these latest photography scapes.
While there are safety cars, which you can add a police livery to, there are no from-the-shop coppers yet, which is all that’s needed to complete the set, now…
Music Rally, weather details and Logitech fixes
June’s update ‘completed’ the Music Rally mode with six new challenges, however, the ‘DRIFT’ level was a bit borked. Sometimes you couldn’t reach the end. This is now said to have been remedied, alongside various glitches when using a Logitech steering wheel
During a race with changeable conditions, you’ll now be able to zoom in one step further on the multi-function display’s rain radar. Fanatec now has a museum charting its history, too.
The full changelog is below, thanks to the Gran Turismo website:
Gran Turismo 7 Update 1.36 August 2023 changelog
Main Features Implemented
- The following four new cars have been added:
・ Chevrolet Corvette (C1) ’58
・ Maserati MC20 ’20
・Toyota GR Corolla MORIZO Edition ’22
・Toyota Ambulance Himedic ’21
The ‘Toyota GR Corolla MORIZO Edition ’22’ car will be available to experience in Round 7 of the ‘TOYOTA GAZOO Racing GT Cup’ (TGR GT Cup) on 27 August, prior to its official release. It will also be available to test drive in practice mode once the server maintenance on Monday, 7 August has been completed. Additionally, players who enter the TGR GT Cup and register a time in the Points Ranking (any round) using their Online ID, will receive this car as a gift. The car will be delivered on 28 August. It will also be available to purchase from Brand Central in late September.
The ‘Toyota Ambulance Himedic ’21’ will be received early as a gift by entering the ‘Gift Viewers’ Campaign banner in the top right of the World Map and watching the Nations Cup broadcast from the ‘World Series Showdown 2023 Amsterdam’ event taking place on 11-12 August. The car will be delivered on either 14 August or 21 August, depending on when you viewed the broadcast. It will also be available to purchase from Brand Central in late September. (Various sounds have been added to the Toyota Ambulance Himedic ’21.)
- A new livery has been added for the following car:
・Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 ’18
To celebrate the release of ‘Gran Turismo: The Movie,’ players can receive a GT movie livery edition GT-R as a gift by watching the trailer from the “Celebrate the release of the ‘Gran Turismo’ movie!” banner on the World Map from 7 August to late September.
2. World Circuits
- The following new events have been added to ‘World Circuits’:
・Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta
- American Sunday Cup 600
- Hyper Car Parade
・Red Bull Ring
- Hyper Car Parade
・High Speed Ring
- World Touring Car 800
3. Brand Central
- The following brands have been added to the Museum:
- The ‘Fire Station’ location has been added as a featured Curation in Scapes.
- The following Extra Menus have been added:
・Extra Menu No. 26: ‘Collection: Maserati’ (Collector Level 40 and above);
・Extra Menu No. 27: ‘Collection: Aston Martin’ (Collector Level 44 and above);
・Extra Menu No. 28: ‘Collection: Kei-Cars’ (Collector Level 27 and above);
- Added new sets of conversations with the Car Designers and Characters appearing in the Café. These new conversations can be accessed by changing to the following cars in ‘Garage’ and speaking with the Characters in the Café:
- Hideo Kodama
・Jaguar D-Type ’54
・Jaguar E-Type Coupé ’61
- Shiro Nakamura
・Ford Mark IV Race Car ’67
・Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30) ’71
- Kunihisa Ito
・Dodge Viper SRT GT3-R ’15
・Lexus SC430 GT500 ’08
- Hikonori Kagurazaka
・Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi ’04
・Wicked Fabrication GT 51
- Ed Welburn
・Lexus LC500 ’17
・Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Final Edition ’15
・Chevrolet Corvette (C1) ’58
・Maserati MC20 ’20
6. GT Auto
- Car Maintenance & Service
Engine Swaps have been added for the following cars (Unlocked at Collector Level 50):
・Chevrolet Camaro Z28 ’69
・Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 (C4) ’89
・Ford Mustang Boss 429 ’69
・Ford Shelby GT350R ’16
・Shelby G.T. 350 ’65
Other Improvements and Adjustments
1. Physics Simulation Model
- Adjusted the replacement conditions for when ‘Replace Car After Leaving Track’ is used;
- Turned the default settings for Auto Drive to ‘Off’ when ‘Assist Preset Selection’ is set to ‘Intermediate’ in Assist Settings.
2. Used Cars & Legend Cars
- Added a new sales category, ‘Special Picks.’ Using players’ Wishlists data for reference, a selection of the most popular cars will be sold as ‘Special Picks’ cars.
3. World Circuits
- The recommended car will now be displayed from the hints button (‘i’) on the event information screen. This display will only appear if set.
- The name of the car manufacturer will now be displayed for races where ‘Regulation (Specified Car)’ is set.
4. Music Rally
- Fixed an issue where progression would sometimes be halted during the following event:
- Changed the default speed from 80 km/h to 40 km/h when ‘Drift Photography’ is selected.
- Fixed an issue wherein a deteriorated car would change to ‘Good Condition’ when driven in a room with the ‘BoP/Tuning Prohibited’ option set to ‘On.’
- Fixed an issue wherein the horsepower/vehicle weight information in the bottom right corner of the Quick Menu screen would not display correctly if accessed from a room with the ‘BoP/Tuning Prohibited’ option set to ‘On.’
- Fixed an issue wherein the changes to the settings would not be reflected after entering the track.
7. Race Screen
- Added an additional zoom level for the weather radar in the Multi-Function Display (MFD) so that there are now 5 levels;
- Adjusted the display so that ‘BRAKING ASSIST’ now appears when the auto brake is in use.
- Fixed an issue wherein the ‘Vibration Strength’ setting would not be correctly reflected when using a wireless controller;
- Fixed an issue wherein an application error would occur when using the PS4™ version of Gran Turismo 7 on a PlayStation®5 console with a Logitech® G923 Racing Wheel or Logitech® G PRO Racing Wheel;
- Fixed an issue wherein the game would freeze if a Logitech® G PRO Racing Wheel was disconnected from the console while driving.
- Fixed various text localisation issues.
- Various other issues have been addressed.