The Chinese venue will be free for all within F1 22 from 12th September, alongside a Zhou Guanyu-themed Weekly Event and a new unlockable livery.
The Shanghai International Circuit will be added via a free update to the F1 22 game on 12th September for PC, PlayStation and Xbox.
Absent from the real world Formula 1 calendar this year due to the nation’s strict COVID-19-related travel restrictions, the Chinese Grand Prix did extend its deal with the sport until 2025 in November of last year.
The venue follows the Algarve International Circuit in Portimão, Portugal, in August as an extra track for players to use in Time Trial, Grand Prix and Multiplayer.
With the assets and AI performance already complete for prior F1 games – Shanghai first appeared in F1 2020 and received a noticeable visual update in F1 2021 – adding it to the current F1 22 to add greater variety seems like a logical implementation.
Zhou Guanyu event
To celebrate the Chinese Moon Festival – also known as the Mid-Autumn Festival, a traditional celebration during which the Moon is believed to be at its brightest – there will be an in-game weekly event featuring the aforenoted Shanghai International Circuit and Alfa Romeo driver Zhou Guanyu.
Also part of the same 12th September update, entitled ‘A Bright Start to F1’, the challenge is to overtake Zhou’s childhood hero Fernando Alonso and team-mate Valtteri Bottas with six laps to go.
Kohaku Koi livery
A further challenge will also be added to F1 22, as those who finished seventh or higher when racing the Singapore Grand Prix between the 12th and 25th September will also unlock a customisable Kohaku Koi car livery.
Yes, that’s a type of red and white fish.
The update, free for all players, will also include – for a limited time – the special Ferrari ‘Giallo Modena’ livery too alongside the new track, event and unlockable livery.
Shanghai International Circuit F1 22 release date
12th September 2022.
F1 22 patch 1.10 changelog
- China/Shanghai International Circuit has been added to Time Trial, Grand Prix, and Multiplayer modes
- Ferrari Special Edition liveries now added in-game for a limited time
- Improved AI racecraft logic and revised levels of aggression when attempting overtakes
- Fixed an issue where AI would drive excessively slowly and block the track on cooldown laps in qualifying
- Fixed an issue with inconsistent kerb impact behaviour across varying frame rates on PC
- Improved AI racecraft behaviour between turns 2 and 3 at Netherlands/Zandvoort
- Improved AI awareness and racecraft between Turn 9 and pit lane entry at Austria
- Fixed previously incorrect penalty logic on pitlane entry at France/Paul Ricard
- Fixed an issue where players can receive incorrect penalties at Turn 7 of Abu Dhabi/Yas Marina
- Flattened an incorrect bump in the track surface at Turn 3 at Azerbaijan/Baku
- Fixed an issue where, in some instances, host migration when loading into a cross-play social lobby can lead to split lobbies
- Fixed an issue where positions in Practice and Qualifying are calculated incorrectly beyond three decimal places
- Fixed an issue where sponsors would not show on the My Team car when watching highlights in Theatre mode
- Fixed an issue in Photo Mode where images can become pixelated when using shutter speed adjustment
- Fixed an issue where a hole is present at the base of the Halo Column when turned off on the Mercedes and the Player Car
- Corrected Max Verstappen’s car number in Social Play, LAN and Featured Event sessions
- Grand Prix – Fixed an issue where Sprint races may not appear when choosing Authentic in the 2022 World Championship weekend structure
- Fixed an issue where focus statistic was too low for all drivers in My Team
- Fixed an issue where rev lights were not working on Logitech wheelbases
- Fixed an issue where telemetry information was missing for race strategy and free practice sessions
- Fixed an issue where some current F1 22 driver numbers can be selected for use with created driver
- Fixed an issue where ‘Custom Grid’ in Social Play did not alter players starting positions
- Fixed an issue where, in some instances, the game would crash for the player who first tries to load into created League event
- Resolved a graphical issue in menus when HDR is enabled
- UDP – Fixed an issue where pitch value is not working correctly on hills
- Revised messaging around progression of second driver statistics in My Team
- UDP – Fixed an issue where medium Traction Control was not outputting in online sessions
- General Stability Improvements
- Various minor fixes