The Version 2.0 update is live as of today, 19th May 2022, and it adds new online events and weather conditions.
A new menu section has been added for the weekly and monthly challenges, within the social tab, and they now include online leaderboards so you can see where you rank against the best in the world.
Prior to this update, the weekly and monthly events were simply part of the home screen, and not within their own dedicated tab.
Dust and fog
One of the unique elements about GRID Legends is the variable time of day and weather conditions, including snow, that can be mixed to an almost infinite degree using the Race Creator.
The options have now been expanded with the addition of dust – reminding us of a sand storm in Forza Horizon 5, and fog. I instantly thought of the PEASOUPER cheat in Codemaster’s 1998 Colin McRae Rally.
A suite of smaller changes
There are also several small tweaks to the game that arrive with Version 2.0, including fixed ‘Distort’ sponsor objectives, being able to receive an invite when the Lobby tab is open, the career event Oval Stock Event 2 has been changed to Oval Stocks Finale and Italian, Spanish, French and German voiceover amends.
A full changelog is listed below.
Photo mode coming soon
One curious omission from GRID Legends form launch was a photo mode. It meant capturing images in-game was a shot in the dark, pausing a replay at the right time and at the right camera angle. This was analogous to another Codemasters-created sim racer, DiRT Rally 2.0.
However, it has been confirmed that this will be coming soon, although the date has yet to be confirmed. The above image was shared on social media, looking to offer similar options to the Formula 1 games developed by the company’s Birmingham studio.
Information on the first of four DLC packs is due in the coming weeks.
GRID Legends version 2.0 update changelog
A new weekly and monthly events page has been added, complete with leaderboards. In addition, two new weather types have been added to Race Creator: Dust and Fog.
- The Racing Line is now correctly shown when set to ‘On’ or ‘Corners Only’
- Add-Ons purchased through the PS Store now appear correctly
- Artifacting around the screen is no longer visible when in replays
- Distort sponsor objectives now progress correctly
- GRID Legends no longer required a restart in order to complete installation
- UI from the Main Menu no longer shows in game after a host migration
- Players no longer appear with a generic profile picture after a user leaves the Lobby
- Players can now receive invites when the Lobby tab is open
- Returning to the main menu from the session list no longer causes ‘Select Vehicle’ to be stuck
- The correct message now displays when trying to join an online game for those without PS Plus or Xbox Gold subscriptions
- Joining an ‘in-progress’ Drift session now functions correctly
- When joining a rolling start session, AI drivers no longer set impossibly fast/negative lap times
- Various other minor bug fixes have been made
Driven to Glory & Career
- The Oval Stock Event 2 has been changed to Oval Stocks Finale
- Progress on The Gauntlet is now visibly updating correctly in Career
- Flicking in the corner of the screen during ‘Into The Fray’ has been resolved
- Long loading times and low FPS after completing Induction and Into The Fray have been resolved
- Various reasons that would cause the game to crash have been resolved across all platforms
Art and Visual Effects
- Floodlights no longer flicker
- Brabham BT62 – Rendering issues on headlights when the front bumper is detached have been resolved
- Koenigsegg Jesko – Driver no longer grips the gearstick too hard when changing gears
- Renault Laguna – Headlights have been improved
- Shanghai – A white light no longer appears in the tunnel’s distance
- Debug text no longer displays in certain instances
- Voice over fixed have been made in Italian, Spanish, French and German
- Dynamic music is now available in Weekly and Monthly events
- There have been several other audio fixes made throughout the game