A new update for the off-road racing game DIRT 5 is now live for all on PC, PlayStation and Xbox (Stadia follows at a later date) and it revises the lighting system.
Shading and reflections have been improved across all locations, with the change said to uplift night-time performance the most notability. With the game rapidly approaching a year on sale, visual improvements at this stage are a welcome addition.
Also part of Update 6.02 are resolutions to various niggles, such as game crashes when users sign out of an Xbox profile or PS5 players losing audio when a racing wheel is connected. On PC, Fanatec pedals can now be detected when connected directly to the computer and cross-platform online play has been rectified.
There’s also a slew of brand-new Halloween-themed content for the game too, as an added bonus, which will roll out as of 1st October 2021. The Tricks N Treats pack adds spooky start gates, finish gates and checkpoints including elements such as flickering flames and scary signage. The new items can be used to create levels, but you will be able to simply enjoy the creations of others and try to beat their online leaderboard times.
Yes – you’re not being tricked, Halloween is still on the 31st October, but you can now get in the mood by playing DIRT 5.
Will you be firing up the game this Halloween? Let us know in the comments below.
Image source: Codemasters
DIRT 5 Update 6.02 changelog
- ‘Tricks N Treats’ Halloween Playgrounds pack: Free Playgrounds item set of Halloween-themed objects for use in Gate Crasher, Smash Attack, and Gymkhana. Available from October 1, 2021.
TECHNICAL FIXES AND CHANGES
- New tweaks to general light, shade, and reflections will be noticeable across every location and scenario, particularly in night-time events, leading to more realistic and natural lighting
- Steam: Fixed issue causing online cross-platform matchmaking to not work on Steam
- Xbox One: Fixed issue causing audio distortion in rare occurrences
- PS5: Resolved issue of audio cutting out when the game is started with a racing wheel connected
- Xbox: Resolved instances of crashes when users sign out of their profile
- Fixed instances of crashes when viewing a player card and playing offline
- Career objectives will now be shown in the post-race rewards menus appropriately
- PC: When using Fanatec pedals connected directly to the PC, the pedals will now be detected and usable
- Fixed issue causing a player’s Playgrounds Weekly Challenge position to not show if they do not have rewards available