The latest update in the Automobilista 2 world brings a “unique” vehicle in Formula 1 history to the vehicle roster, battling virtually against the Lotus 79 once more.
A few weeks ago, the Lotus 79 and the generic F-Retro Gen2 Model1 were released in the v220.127.116.11 update. Now in the v18.104.22.168 update, the Brabham BT46B, adoringly known to many as the “fan car”, will be another option to choose from in the F-Retro Gen2 Class.
Like the Lotus 79, the Brabham BT46B sought to implement the best ground effects to create the highest level of downforce. The original concept designed by Gordon Murray, the “B” variant of the Brabham BT46 was made to go to battle directly with the Lotus 79. When the Brabham BT46B was introduced in the 1978 Formula 1 season, Mario Andretti had already driven his Lotus 79 to three victories in the first seven races.
On 17 June 1978 at the Swedish Grand Prix at Anderstorp (previously Scandanavian) Raceway, the eighth race of the Formula 1 season, Niki Lauda piloted the Brabham BT46B for Alfa Romeo on that day, winning in convincing fashion.
The car was deemed legal, but Brabham team owner Bernie Ecclestone opted to avoid further controversies over the mechanics of how the fan both improved airflow and cooling through the drivetrain, in the process of also “generating astronomical levels of downforce,” shelving the car indefinitely.
Now, you can rewrite your own history and wheel the “fan car” in the retro class around the venues in the latest edition of Automobilista 2. On top of the added retro vehicle, the update also adds some UI and HUD updates, as well as some more updates to the physics and AI.
Vehicles in the F-style class of cars, such as the F-Classic, F-Reiza, F-Ultimate 2019, and F3 F309, have “added camber values to the suspension animation,” and others such as the F-Retros, F-Classics and F-V12 now have period-accurate driver helmets, suits, and gloves. A few tracks on the service also received some updates as well, and all of that can be seen in the changelog below.
Stay tuned to Traxion for more updates as they become available for Automobilista 2.
Automobilista 2 v22.214.171.124 update changelog
Added Brabham BT46B to F-Retro Gen2 Class.
- Added new MAX AVAILABLE setting to Custom Event Opponents screen to limit number of AI opponents according to the number of liveries in the selected car or class.
- Excluded player livery from AI selection when enough liveries are available to not have duplicates.
- Added support to disable pitstop refuelling for series that don´t allow it.
UI & HUD
- Added extended vehicle information to loading screen.
- Fixed selected state opacity on various start buttons.
- Extended pause menu and added full size photo and replay buttons.
- Added scrolling to long help texts in vehicle setup screen.
- Fixed gear tacho gear indicator not changing colour at redline.
- Merged / rearranged car info widget into a single element.
- Adjusted colours/opacity of some car info elements to improve legibility.
- Fixed pit/formation speed limit and cooldown lap notice not enabled by default in some modes.
- Fixed over-sized container on relative times widget.
- Fixed inability to enable relative times widget in light mode HUD editor.
- Restyled custom event session selection.
- Fixed menu/weather input registration on practice/qualifying session settings.
- Restyled HUD pit board.
- Fixed start new championship list always displaying selected state.
- Fixed help text alignment on session settings and custom event opponents’ pages.
- Fixed Opponent Number Type option not persisting across opponents’ dialog launches.
- Enabled localisation for loading screen tips.
PHYSICS & AI
- Revised “unsprung” mass values (spindles & wheels) for all cars to correct minor discrepancies.
- Minor tire tread adjustment to F-Retro, F-Vintage.
- Disabled pitstop refuelling in F-Reiza, F-Ultimate.
- Adjusted default coast differential ramp angles in F-Retros / MRX / Camaro SS.
- Minor F-Retro Gen1 / Gen 2 aero revisions.
- Added longer final gear ratio for F-Retro cars (all models).
- Sigma P1: Increased default preload, increased default final gear ratio.
- F-Classic: Increased minimum front ride height.
- Porsche GT3-R: Reduced minimum rear ride height.
- F-Retro: Revised suspension rates.
- Reduced gearbox wear in sequential & semi-auto boxes.
- Reduced 1970s Cosworth DFV RPM critical range for engine lifetime.
- Added blown diffuser emulation to F-Reiza.
- Adjusted front wing max height for F-Retros, F-V10 Gen1.
- Adjusted critical RPM range for engine lifetime in GT1, GT3, GT4 cars.
- GT5 AI calibration pass.
- AI calibration pass for Ginetta G40 Cup, GT5, F-Retro Gen1, Gen2, Mini UK & Stock Car 2020 / 2021.
- Minor adjustments to AI awareness vs player car.
- Added initial logic for loading trackside crowd / objects according to session type (initial implementation covers only 2D crowd which now does not show in test day / practice sessions).
- Spielberg Historic: Increased supported grid size to 20; Fixed crowds’ season (summer to spring).
- Londrina (Long/Short): Update curb mapping to support new colors texture; Performance pass reduce draw calls 15%; Reworked sponsor adverts on temp stands.
- Goiania: Performance pass reduced draw calls 40%.
- Interlagos (GP/kart): Performance pass reduce draw calls 30%; New pit lane path for GP layout.
- Jacarepaguá Historic: Fixed broken normals on mountain treeline; Additional performance tweaks (draw call/chunk size); Fix podium LOD popping; deleted cones in middle of the road in oval layout; adjusted pitlane path exit to minimise chances of AI crashing.
- Hockenheim Historics: Conform render to reduced road noise; Performance pass reduced draw calls by 35%; Improved live grass texture.
- Imola 1988: Performance pass reduced draw calls by 28%; Fix a few minor object LOD popping.
- Added missing start lights.
- Cascavel: Minor advert tweaks.
- Added VR cams for Oulton Park, Goiania, Velo Cittá & Velopark.
- Reduced or removed chance of fog / foggy rain in random weather depending on track.
- F-Classic: Fixed wheels offset in suspension animations; Added camber values to the suspension animation in G1M1, G2M1, G2M3.
- F-Reiza: Added camber values to the suspension animation.
- F-Ultimate 2019: Added camber values to the suspension animation.
- F3 F309: Fixed visual artifacts in rear suspension; Added camber values to the suspension animation; Adjusted the graphic offset.
- Stock Car 2021: Updated liveries for Julio Campos, Rafael Suzuki, Bruno Baptista.
- Added period-accurate driver helmets, suits & gloves to F-Retros, F-Classics & F-V12 (WIP and still with generic textures, further customization soon to come).
- Corrected Lotus 79 RPM shift light range.
- Fixed F-Reiza cockpit antenna.
- Brabham BT44: Fixed shift warning light.
- Karts & Trucks: Corrected normal map size.