After launching with Logitech and Thrustmaster wheel and pedal support, Dakar Desert Rally is set to receive Fanatec, Hori, Simucube and Heusinkveld usage soon.
With Dakar Desert Rally now one day old, reams of user feedback are being collated ahead of the first post-release patch.
The most-vocal responses seem to be regarding steering wheel support. In our testing for review, we used a Logitech G29 and Thrustmaster TS-XW and both devices delivered the necessary force feedback.
However, the steering wheel peripheral market has moved on a long way since just two manufacturers dominated, in particular on consoles with recent Fanatec and Logitech direct drive devices now available.
“We’ve confirmed that there are some issues with force feedback support and compatibility with a select number of steering wheel accessories,” reads a statement by publisher Saber Interactive on the game’s Steam community page and Discord.
The team is also working on several changes to AI behaviour, notably to avoid collisions, online multiplayer fixes and control point errors when in the Professional game mode. An extended Saudi Arabia Extended Map is also due before the end of this month.
Here’s a full list of currently compatible wheels, and what’s listed as coming soon:
Dakar Desert Rally compatible steering wheels
- Thrustmaster T248
- Thrustmaster T-GT
- Thrustmaster TMX
- Thrustmaster TS-XW
- Thrustmaster T80
- Thrustmaster T150
- Thrustmaster T300RS
- Thrustmaster TX-Racing
- Thrustmaster Ferrari 458
- Logitech G27
- Logitech G29
- Logitech G920
- Logitech G923
Dakar Desert Rally steering wheel compatibility in progress
- Thrustmaster T-GT II
- Thrustmaster T500RS
- Logitech G PRO Racing Wheel
- Fanatec CSL Elite
- Fanatec ClubSport RS
- Fanatec Gran Turismo DD Pro
- HORI FF Racing Wheel DLX
- HORI Racing Wheel Overdrive
- HORI Racing Wheel Apex
- Simucube 2 Sport Wheelbase
- Simucube + Heusinkveld Pedals
Dakar Desert Rally Version 1.3 development list
- AI handling improvements, so vehicle AI will be better at avoiding collisions and controlling their speed
- Control Point fixes and improvements in Professional Mode
- Multiplayer improvements, including a fix where the host is not correctly replicating the right state of the client, and a fix to AI behaviour in multiplayer