This one caught us by surprise. Popular, and controversial, violent driving game Carmageddon is making a comeback and it’s inside out favourite smash-em-up, Wreckfest.
Entitled the Carmageddon Tournament Update, it throws things back to the original 1997 car combat release, with two environments – Bleak City and Devil’s Canyon – alongside the Eagle-R car.
This time, you will be slicing up zombies with your vehicle, who keep the pixelated 90s design in a retro touch. In the original, these were simply pedestrians, as opposed to the walking dead, hence the backlash in mainstream media.
As with all previous Wreckfest Tournament updates, the tracks are free for all players, and there will be a suite of new challenges for you to earn fame within, helping you to unlock further new and interesting vehicles.
Both new arenas can be used in regular online multiplayer matches, thanks to the inclusion of racetrack and free-roam deathmatch layouts. Bleak City additionally features a reverse race layout and a dedicated demolition area.
The last game in the series released in 2015, Carmageddon: Reincarnation, and was developed by Stainless Games. It appeased many fans who were excited about a reinvention for the series, but for many, including me, it was very mediocre and lacked a clear direction.
The Wreckfest update is live today on PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One and Xbox Series and it also includes a host of small game refinements, which we’ve listed below. Let us know in the comments if you’re excited about the return of Carmageddon.
Wreckfest Carmageddon Tournament Update Changelog
- Added two new environments from Carmageddon: Bleak City and Devil’s Canyon.
Both new environments feature a race track and a free roam environment best suitable for deathmatches, and additionally Bleak City also has a reverse race layout as well as a dedicated demolition arena.
Server admins note: the internal designation for the tracks are as follows:
Bleak City Race Track: crm01_1 Bleak City Race Track Reverse: crm01_5 Bleak City Demolition Arena: crm01_3 Bleak City Free Roam: crm01_2 Devil's Canyon Race Track: crm02_1 Devil's Canyon Free Roam: crm02_2
- New tournament season: Carmageddon.
- New tournament reward car: Eagle-R.
- (XBSX) Improved framerate for more stable 60 fps.
- (PC) Improved reliability of save data handling.
- (PC) Game no longer crashes to fatal error whenever save data is corrupted.
- (PS4) Creating a public lobby now works properly.
- (PC) Steam networking asserts are no longer displayed in the server console.
- (PC) Performance issues in multiplayer.
- (PC) Dedicated server currently suffers from a severe memory leak, most likely causing the server to crash eventually.
- (PC) Hosting in-game does not currently work (neither Internet or LAN), please use the dedicated server in the meantime.
- (PC) In-game ping currently displays ~30 ms too much, meaning that your actual ping is ~30 ms less.
- (PC) Server message is not being displayed.