We’ve been looking forward to this news for quite some time, but today, 5th March 2021, Circuit Superstars will be available to play thanks to Steam Early Access.
For those not in the loop, the top-down cutesy racer is physics-driven, meaning while it may look like an arcade racer, the beauty is more than skin deep. It is developed by Original Fire Games and will be published by Square Enix Collective. The game will be coming to PC, Nintendo Switch, PS4 and Xbox One once complete.
Those with a PC will be able to buy an early build of the game for £12.99/$16.99/€16.99 from 6 pm GMT / 7 pm CET / 1 pm EST / 10 am PST today. We’ll be playing this game as soon as possible, and shall report back with an early hands-on preview next week, which should whet the appetite for both the final version and console owners.
In the run-up to this news, the development team has posted many videos on social media, showcasing not just the aesthetics, but also what looks like a very competitive AI system. Plus, some of the coolest pit-stop animations we’ve seen in a long time.
According to the Founder and Studio Lead of Original Fire Games, Caro Mastretta, via the official Discord, the following will be available in the Early Access version:
- Free Play: This is your standard offline player affair, which allows you to choose any track available to race on with rules set to your liking (such as what level AI is, how many other tracks there will be, the car class or the number of laps needed for each track, and other settings).
- Online (BETA): Multiplayer that will have three race types to choose from. These will change each week to keep things fresh.
- Weekly Time Trial: This allows you to set the best time on three specially selected tracks and vehicle combinations, which we will update once per week to let everyone have a fair chance to get onto the high-score boards.
- Arcade Mode: Put your skills to the test against our finely-honed roster of AI drivers in a variety of pre-set tournaments.
- Garage: Give your vehicles a new lick of paint and customize your driver’s look!
There will be six cars to choose from at first, alongside six different tracks. More will be added through the Early Access period and then more again for the final build release. The Early Access pricing is said to be “a bit lower than it will [be] at full launch.”
We’re looking forward to giving this a go. As ever, stay tuned to Traxion for more updates on Circuit Superstars and our initial impressions very soon.