1113 days – that’s how long it has been since the then titled Next Car Game left Early Access and became Wreckfest, yet here we are still here talking about new updates to Bugbear’s masterpiece.
As of yesterday, when the latest patch hit, PS5-owning Wreckfest-players can now use their existing PS4 game save in our favourite smash-em-up.
Should you have a complete PS4 Wreckfest game save, either on a USB drive or simply on the PlayStation Plus cloud, copy or download it to your PS5, launch the game and hey presto, everything you unlocked or previously completed is now there.
Apart from Trophies, that is – no double Platinum for you, unless you play through things once more. This is slightly odd, as other games such as Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order deliver the auto-ping satisfaction when transferring saves.
In other PlayStation news, PS4 and PS5 players can join the same online games, be that in public or private lobbies. Handy if you have some friends who haven’t been able to score a new console yet.
Those playing on PC are not being left out either. Those who own a device with the requisite specs can now experience the higher-density foliage, dynamic dirt build-up, increased shadow detail, and next-gen bloom lighting that PS5 players have enjoyed for a couple of months.
Finally, for those on Xbox Series, there have been some frame rate issues of late, but the promised 4K 60 fps performance is now here across all game modes on Series X. For with a Series S, you can now experience 1080p 60 fps too. Stability on these two platforms is also said to be improved.
There’s a suite of smaller fixes, tweaks and upgrades across all platforms with the latest update, so we’ve included the full changelog from the Bugbear forum post below.
Wreckfest June 2021 update changelog
- The second Wrecking Madness seasonal event starting on 6th of July features multiplier coins that will multiply your score for a while once collected.
- The Dirtshot bundle is now correctly received the first time purchasing it.
- (PS4/PS5) Implemented crossplay functionality between PS4 and PS5 on 16 player lobbies.
- (PS5) It is now possible to migrate existing PS4 save data to PS5. Please read below for more details.
- (XSX) The download of the Upgrade DLC now starts automatically.
- (XSX) The free Bonus Car now appears correctly in the garage.
- (XSX) Improved performance on both Series X and S.
- (PS4) Implemented enhanced lighting.
- (PC) Implemented enhanced lighting and effects.
- (PC) Launcher now offers a choice of graphical presets that matches those in-game.
- (PC) More robust save data handling.
- Improved memory handling.
- (PC) Updated Steam Networking API to the latest version and improved networking error resiliency.
- Corresponding loaner vehicles are now eligible whenever there’s a non-loaner vehicle restriction in place.
- In Paint Shop, pressing (A) now confirms the selection and changes to the next tab.
- (PS4/XSX) First gear is now correctly engaged while on the start grid, eliminating launch delay.
- The front wheels no longer detach as easily when using the Extreme damage mode.
- Exhaust now deforms along with the rest of the vehicle body when using Extreme damage mode.
- Sweeper can be now tuned in the tournament mode even when not owning the DLC.
- Step Van gearing tuning options are now in correct order for real.
- Bumper Car (TL) no longer appears in the garage.
- Improved Speedbird GT competitiveness.
- Fixed Speedbird GT license plate normal map.
- Removed plate from the Speedbird GT right side door.
- Only base Speedbird GT roll cage now has a window net.
- (PC/PS4) All Speedbird GT paint styles and liveries are now displayed correctly.
- (PC/PS4) On Wrecking Playground, the free camera is now allowed to go higher.
- General: Updated Wwise SDK to version 2019.2.9.
- (PC) Modding Package: Update project to Wwise SDK version 2019.2.9.
- (PC) Modding Package: Update audio mix bus layout to match the in-game Wwise configuration.
- (PC) Modding Package: Add new example objects and assets for basic engine loops. Enable in-game ‘Example Car’ (under mods) to edit and mod your own!
- (PC) Modding Package: Add new example objects for simple vehicle RPM-based synthesized sounds.
- (PC) Modding Package: Update documentation for a new tutorial flow, improved readability and additional content.
- (PC, PS4, XB1) Mixdown: Adjusted audio mixing chain to use Wwise Mastering plugin introduced with SDK version 2019.2.
- (PC) Mixdown: Re-calibrated output levels so that in-game audio settings of “all 80%” results in average loudness of about -16 LKFS.
- (PS4, XB1) Mixdown: Re-calibrated output levels so that in-game audio settings of “all 80%” results in average loudness of about -23 LKFS.
- In-game: Increased AI vehicle volume in free & trackside camera views.
- In-game: Added more dynamic variety to vehicle contact sounds.
- In-game: Fixed a bug where AI vehicle wheel hub collisions would trigger player collision sounds.
- In-game: Fixed an issue where vehicle wheel landing sfx would play on chassis contact.
- In-game: Fixed an issue where car window crack and break sounds would play even if windows were not damaged in a collision.
- In-game: Fixed virtual voice leaks with some exhaust backfire sound effects.
- In-game: Fixed incorrect 3D positioning of some player damage sounds.
- In-game: Fixed issue where time penalty notification sound would sometimes play in post-race screens.
- In-game: Implemented a generic acoustics simulation (non-vehicle model specific) of stripped-down vehicle interior in cockpit camera view.
- In-game: Fixed Ambisonics channel order configuration issue with source sound assets for wind ambience.
- Vehicle Damage: Implemented camera angle based automation of loudness and tone for damage sfx of each subsystem (brakes, engine etc.). F.ex. damage sound of engine pistons will appear more sharp and pronounced on hood/bumper cam etc. etc.
- Wrecker: Fixed audio sync issue with single and grouped Bumper machines.
- Wrecker: Machine mixdown balancing tweaks.
- Race: Added faint wind and distant traffic noise ambiences. Configure in-game music volume to 0% to play these sounds.